Droitwich man's holiday death down to alcohol, inquest hears - The Droitwich Standard
Online Editions

19th Aug, 2022

Droitwich man's holiday death down to alcohol, inquest hears

Droitwich Editorial 21st Aug, 2014 Updated: 17th Oct, 2016

A YOUNG Droitwich man who was found dead in his Malia hotel room died as a result of acute alcohol poisoning, an inquest heard.

Adam Steven Walker, of Pear Tree Way, passed away on June 6 after a night out on holiday with his friends.

The Worcestershire Coroner Court heard yesterday (Thursday), how the 22-year-old who worked at McDonalds, had consumed a lot of alcohol across a number of days.

On the day Adam died he had been at a paint party with his friend and was drinking vodka and Red Bull.

Coroner Mr Geraint Williams read out a statement, who was not present at the inquest.

Mr Williams said it was clear the boys had been enjoying themselves but they had been consuming a lot of alcohol and playing drinking related games.

According to Damien’s statement Adam had left the party to meet a friend before returning and later leaving again.

The court heard how Damien had returned to their hotel and Adam had looked asleep. In the morning he heard a knock at the door but did not answer until someone knocked again.

When he did open the door he saw their holiday rep – the two of them then both noticed Adam was on the bed and had been sick, which is when they tried to wake him up.

Mr Williams said the legal system abroad was much different to the one in the UK so when the results to Adam’s post-mortem and autopsy came through it had to be translated.

It showed Adam had no pre-existing diseases or medical emergencies which could have caused his death but it was found he had 28 grams of alcohol per litre in his blood.

Coroner Mr Geraint Williams said because the Greek authorities worked differently he was not sure exactly how much that was but presumed it was a lot to have such an effect.

The autopsy result showed Adam’s death was down to acute alcohol poisoning and the fact he also suffered from Crohn’s disease, was also a contributing factor.

Mr Williams said how the Greek authorities classified it as a case of accidental death but he believed he died as a result of alcohol abuse.

Although he did not believe Adam died intentionally he added how he had deliberately gone out and consumed a huge amount of alcohol and had died as a result of that abuse.

Crew trainer Sharon Read, who worked with Adam at Wychbold McDonalds, said: “Adam would always do anything for anybody.

“As a shift manager you could ask him to do anything and he would just do it and would never complain.

“He was a pleasure and joy to work with and was really funny in his own way.

“He was definitely unique and we all miss him very much, it was so sad when we heard.”

Property Finder 24/7

Search for properties in Worcestershire, Warwickshire and the West Midlands.

Digital Advertising

Advertise on the Droitwich Standard to boost your online presence.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Book an Advert

Book your newspaper advert with our online advert creation tool.