Home » Features
Recipe ideas for children
Fussy kids need be fussy no more with these recipe ideas for healthy, flavourful children’s dishes. And what’s more, you can even get a few vegetables into them without them batting an eyelid. Hurray!
Recipe ideas for kids:
- Pancakes: make them plain, sprinkle with honey and lemon, or go savoury and serve with vegetables in a cheese sauce. Pancakes are a surefire winner.
- Goujons: we’re not talking turkey twizzlers here, the homemade versions are guaranteed to be gobbled up. Make your own by slicing chicken fillets, dusting in flour, dipping in a beaten egg, covering in a cheese and breadcrumb mix, then frying.
- Toad in the hole: you’ve got chipolatas; you’ve got Yorkshire puds. You’ve got happy kids.
- Pasta: not just any old pasta, pasta with hidden veg sauce. For the sauce, fry onion, leeks, peppers, tomatoes, a little sugar and vinegar, simmer for 20 minutes then blitz in a blender.
- Dips: it’s a truth universally acknowledged that kids love to dip things into things. A healthier alternative to chips and ketchup is slices of pepper, cucumber and pitta dipped in hummus or guacamole.
- Baked eggs: as a change from boiled eggs, fill a ramekin with chopped ham and tomatoes (or any cooked vegetables – be as creative as you like) and crack an egg on top, then sprinkle with cheese and bake on a medium heat oven for around 15 minutes until set.
- Pizza: this nifty suggestion doesn’t require a phone call to Domino’s. All you need is some lightly toasted ciabatta slices (or use muffins cut in half), spread with tomato puree, then sprinkle with mozzarella, tomatoes, tinned tuna and any vegetables your child likes. Grill for a few minutes, and bingo! Homemade pizza.
- If you want to get your children eating more fruit, but they’re more inclined towards chocolate, how about a compromise. Slice a banana, melt some chocolate buttons in a microwave, mix in some plain yogurt and pour over the fruit.