Pet cat dies in Spa flat fire

By Rob George Tuesday 30 October 2012 Updated: 02/11 12:53

A PET cat has died following a fire in Thatchers Green which began after a cande was left lit overnight.

Crews from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) were called to the incident just after 4.30am on Saturday (October 27).

Two fire crews from Droitwich Fire Station attended the scene and firefighters in breathing apparatus extinguished the fire in a bedroom of the first floor flat.

Watch Commander Michael James said: "It would seem that the occupant had lit a candle in his bedroom and then fallen asleep before putting the candle out. He then awoke to find his quilt on fire and the flat full of smoke.”

He confirmed that the man was out of the flat as crews arrived but that he had burnt his hands and was suffering the effects of smoke inhalation. Sadly his pet cat died as a result of the incident

There was extensive fire damage in the bedroom, with the bed itself destroyed, and there was also smoke damage throughout the rest of the flat.

Watch commander James added: "Candle safety is always a key part of our winter safety campaign and we would like to take this opportunity to remind people about using candles with care."

Popular »

1 South Worcestershire Police launch crime crackdown

2 Wychavon to take legal action against Droitwich travellers

3 Three hurt in three-car Rashwood Hill crash

4 Dad's Army back at the Norbury by popular demand

5 Rapturous applause for a MadCap Twelfth Night

More news »

Tree cheers for the Queen

MEMBERS of Droitwich Spa Civic Society and town

Festive messages will help

CARING Droitwich residents are being encouraged to save

Spending cuts to hit the disabled

DISABLED people across Droitwich could face being cared

Santa set to visit

SANTA Claus will be coming to Droitwich in

Regional news »


Worcester Observer

Visit the Worcester Observer website for the latest.

Evesham Observer
Gym to host top competition

A POPULAR Evesham gym will play host to a top ...

Redditch Standard
Birmingham hospital closes doors to county patients

A BIRMINGHAM hospital is refusing to treat patients from Worcestershire ...

Stratford Observer
Leukaemia mum tells of battle for 'miracle' children

A LEUKAEMIA survivor who delayed treatment to start a family ...