Pet cat dies in Spa flat fire

By Rob George Tuesday 30 October 2012 Updated: 02/11 12:53

A PET cat has died following a fire in Thatchers Green which began after a cande was left lit overnight.

Crews from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) were called to the incident just after 4.30am on Saturday (October 27).

Two fire crews from Droitwich Fire Station attended the scene and firefighters in breathing apparatus extinguished the fire in a bedroom of the first floor flat.

Watch Commander Michael James said: "It would seem that the occupant had lit a candle in his bedroom and then fallen asleep before putting the candle out. He then awoke to find his quilt on fire and the flat full of smoke.”

He confirmed that the man was out of the flat as crews arrived but that he had burnt his hands and was suffering the effects of smoke inhalation. Sadly his pet cat died as a result of the incident

There was extensive fire damage in the bedroom, with the bed itself destroyed, and there was also smoke damage throughout the rest of the flat.

Watch commander James added: "Candle safety is always a key part of our winter safety campaign and we would like to take this opportunity to remind people about using candles with care."

Popular »

1 Trailer, jumps and wings stolen in Droitwich raid

2 Pair trapped in serious Droitwich crash

3 Droitwich Leisure centre in line for 1million revamp

4 Unruly Droitwich man gets two-year CRASBO

5 Punk band to play Bromsgrove's Black Cross

More news »

Inquest opens into death of headteacher

AN INQUEST has been opened and adjourned into

Headteacher found hanged in office

DEVASTATED pupils and staff have returned to a

Mayor appeals for donations

CHARITABLE Spa residents are being invited to donate

Pyjama fund-raisers

A GROUP of caring Droitwich youngsters were inspired

Regional news »


Worcester Observer

Visit the Worcester Observer website for the latest.

Evesham Observer
Unprovoked assault on Vale jogger

WITNESSES are being sought following an unprovoked assault on a ...

Redditch Standard
High demand at A&E

UNPRECEDENTED seasonal demand is being placed on A&E today (Tuesday). ...

Stratford Observer
Morrisons staff cycle round the world in 48 hours

IT was olé and away as staff at Morrisons Stratford ...