Pet cat dies in Spa flat fire

By Rob George Tuesday 30 October 2012 Updated: 02/11 12:53

A PET cat has died following a fire in Thatchers Green which began after a cande was left lit overnight.

Crews from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) were called to the incident just after 4.30am on Saturday (October 27).

Two fire crews from Droitwich Fire Station attended the scene and firefighters in breathing apparatus extinguished the fire in a bedroom of the first floor flat.

Watch Commander Michael James said: "It would seem that the occupant had lit a candle in his bedroom and then fallen asleep before putting the candle out. He then awoke to find his quilt on fire and the flat full of smoke.”

He confirmed that the man was out of the flat as crews arrived but that he had burnt his hands and was suffering the effects of smoke inhalation. Sadly his pet cat died as a result of the incident

There was extensive fire damage in the bedroom, with the bed itself destroyed, and there was also smoke damage throughout the rest of the flat.

Watch commander James added: "Candle safety is always a key part of our winter safety campaign and we would like to take this opportunity to remind people about using candles with care."

Regional news »


Worcester Observer

Visit the Worcester Observer website for the latest.

Evesham Observer
Pie and Ale festival scrapped for 2015

EVESHAM'S Pie and Ale Festival has been scrapped for 2015 ...

Redditch Standard
Citizens' Advice in Redditch to close as funding cuts bite

FUNDING cuts have resulted in the closure of Redditch's Citizens' ...

Stratford Observer
Race to save teenager with rare disorder

"MY daughter has never asked for anything, but I know ...