Pet cat dies in Spa flat fire

By Rob George Tuesday 30 October 2012 Updated: 02/11 12:53

A PET cat has died following a fire in Thatchers Green which began after a cande was left lit overnight.

Crews from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) were called to the incident just after 4.30am on Saturday (October 27).

Two fire crews from Droitwich Fire Station attended the scene and firefighters in breathing apparatus extinguished the fire in a bedroom of the first floor flat.

Watch Commander Michael James said: "It would seem that the occupant had lit a candle in his bedroom and then fallen asleep before putting the candle out. He then awoke to find his quilt on fire and the flat full of smoke.”

He confirmed that the man was out of the flat as crews arrived but that he had burnt his hands and was suffering the effects of smoke inhalation. Sadly his pet cat died as a result of the incident

There was extensive fire damage in the bedroom, with the bed itself destroyed, and there was also smoke damage throughout the rest of the flat.

Watch commander James added: "Candle safety is always a key part of our winter safety campaign and we would like to take this opportunity to remind people about using candles with care."

Popular »

1 Droitwich man escapes jail despite 25,000 benefit fraud

2 Winning wildlife snaps revealed

3 Rookie Droitwich lifeguards test out skills

4 Lido hosts rookie lifesavers awards

5 Droitwich Leisure centre in line for 1million revamp

More news »

Headteacher found hanged at county school

A PRIMARY school headteacher has been found hanged

Question mark over future of centre

CONCERNS have been expressed about the long-term future

Carving out some spooky fun

FIENDISHLY frightening costumes and a giant carved pumpkin

Spa man scales the peak for charity

A DROITWICH man has climbed one of the

Regional news »


Worcester Observer

Visit the Worcester Observer website for the latest.

Evesham Observer
Drunk man was abusive to police

A DRUNK man swore at police because he was angered ...

Redditch Standard
Commuters back on track with railway opening

RAIL commuters were back on track this morning (Monday) after ...

Stratford Observer
Vulnerable 20-year-old missing from Henley

A VULNERABLE 20-year-old has been missing from Henley since Thusday ...