Pet cat dies in Spa flat fire

By Rob George Tuesday 30 October 2012 Updated: 30/10 17:20

A PET cat has died following a fire in Thatchers Green which began after a cande was left lit overnight.

Crews from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) were called to the incident just after 4.30am on Saturday (October 27).

Two fire crews from Droitwich Fire Station attended the scene and firefighters in breathing apparatus extinguished the fire in a bedroom of the first floor flat.

Watch Commander Michael James said: "It would seem that the occupant had lit a candle in his bedroom and then fallen asleep before putting the candle out. He then awoke to find his quilt on fire and the flat full of smoke.”

He confirmed that the man was out of the flat as crews arrived but that he had burnt his hands and was suffering the effects of smoke inhalation. Sadly his pet cat died as a result of the incident

There was extensive fire damage in the bedroom, with the bed itself destroyed, and there was also smoke damage throughout the rest of the flat.

Watch commander James added: "Candle safety is always a key part of our winter safety campaign and we would like to take this opportunity to remind people about using candles with care."

Regional news »


Worcester Observer

Visit the Worcester Observer website for the latest.

Evesham Observer
Looking good for award

A UNIQUE scheme to brighten up the ground floor of ...

Redditch Standard
Fears for Redditch patients after Worcester meltdown

CAMPAIGNERS fighting to save services at the Alexandra Hospital have ...

Stratford Observer
District council hands over £2,215 of travel tokens to charity

STRATFORD District Council has handed over £2,215 worth of unused ...