Pet cat dies in Spa flat fire

By Rob George Tuesday 30 October 2012 Updated: 30/10 17:20

A PET cat has died following a fire in Thatchers Green which began after a cande was left lit overnight.

Crews from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) were called to the incident just after 4.30am on Saturday (October 27).

Two fire crews from Droitwich Fire Station attended the scene and firefighters in breathing apparatus extinguished the fire in a bedroom of the first floor flat.

Watch Commander Michael James said: "It would seem that the occupant had lit a candle in his bedroom and then fallen asleep before putting the candle out. He then awoke to find his quilt on fire and the flat full of smoke.”

He confirmed that the man was out of the flat as crews arrived but that he had burnt his hands and was suffering the effects of smoke inhalation. Sadly his pet cat died as a result of the incident

There was extensive fire damage in the bedroom, with the bed itself destroyed, and there was also smoke damage throughout the rest of the flat.

Watch commander James added: "Candle safety is always a key part of our winter safety campaign and we would like to take this opportunity to remind people about using candles with care."

Popular »

1 Unruly Droitwich man gets two-year CRASBO

2 Pair trapped in serious Droitwich crash

3 Droitwich Leisure centre in line for 1million revamp

4 Droitwich man escapes jail despite 25,000 benefit fraud

5 Woman airlifted after Droitwich crash

More news »

School firework event set to sparkle

SPA residents can make their Bonfire Night celebrations

Prestigious award for campaigner

A DEDICATED Droitwich resident who campaigned for more

Why you should go to Specsavers

CARING Spa residents are being urged to give

Business leaders in plea for backing

COUNCIL chiefs have been urged to back the

Regional news »


Worcester Observer

Visit the Worcester Observer website for the latest.

Evesham Observer
Club President passes away

EVESHAM United Football Club has announced their president Malcolm Davis ...

Redditch Standard
Catch them young

TOP tips from some of the country’s leading anglers were ...

Stratford Observer
Samaritans on lookout for more local volunteers

THOUGHTFUL people willing to help others are being sought by ...