Firefighters tackle house fire

By Rob George 24/02 Updated: 02/03 12:41

The damage caused to the roof by the fire at a property on Hanbury Road this morning (Tuesday). (s)

CREWS from Droitwich tackled a blaze at a house on Hanbury Road on Tuesday (February 21) which forced the busy road to be closed.

Firefighters were called to the house just after 5.30am following reports of a roof on fire.

Two crews from Droitwich were backed up with a crew from Bromsgrove and the aerial ladder platform from Worcester.

The Incident Support Unit from Droitwich was also called to assist with the salvage operation while police also attended to close the road.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus tackled the fire while the aerial ladder platform was used to help remove roof tiles during the incident.

Ceilings at the property were also removed to expose the beams to ensure the fire was fully extinguished.

Station Commander Mark Strutt said: “The fire is believed to have started in a woodburner stove in the house and then spread

into the roof space.”

He estimated that around half of the roof was destroyed during the blaze but that damage to the rest of the property had been contained, with only a small part of the first floor affected.

No one was injured as a result of the fire and the road was re-opened later in the morning.

Popular Stories »

1 Droitwich to get its own beer festival

2 Superb Scrooge brings festive spirit to The Norbury

3 Droitwich to get new M&S Simply Food

4 New B&M Bargains store to create 50 Droitwich jobs

5 Music night at Salwarpe Village Hall

More news »

Droitwich student over the moon after landing TV role

A DROITWICH student has landed a starring role

Youngsters wanted for health project

COMMUNITY spirited young people in Droitwich have been

Book lovers get into character

YOUNG bookworms at a Droitwich school celebrated World

Spa to pilot planning trial for Government

SPA residents will have a greater say in

Regional news »


Worcester Observer

Visit the Worcester Observer website for the latest.

Evesham Observer
Tasty treats at farm shop open day

FOOD tasting, cooking demonstrations, Christmas gift ideas and a festive ...

Redditch Standard
Norovirus closes hospital ward

AN OUTBREAK of norovirus has forced a ward to close ...

Stratford Observer
Stratford on Avon man jailed for raping prostitute

A MAN from Stratford who raped a prostitute twice as ...

Business Directory »

See your advert here »